Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Interesting Sunday

Today started out as any other Sunday does around our house. We got up out of our comfy beds, got ready, had a warm yummy breakfast, and went to church. Brandon woke up with a bad headache so he didn't make it to church. What started out as a little frustrating to me, ended up being a blessing. After church let out, Brandon called to tell me that he still wasn't feeling all that great, and to go ahead and take the boys to lunch. So my parents and I loaded up and headed over to Nixa to grab a bite to eat. After lunch I was debating going to a store in Springfield, since I had a coupon and could get a free shirt or waiting until later in the afternoon, since it looked like it was about to downpour.
I decided to take the boys home, get them down for a nap, and head to town. I wandered around the store longer than I normally would, tried on more clothes that I normally would, made my purchases and left. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, back on the road to head home, I noticed a very pregnant girl standing in the intersection holding a homeless sign. My heart stopped. It was nearly 100 degrees out and this girl had to be nine months pregnant. As I pulled closer to her you could see the blisters forming on her shoulders and nose from the sun beating down on her. I was talking to Brandon on the phone when I just felt God telling me to turn around and talk to her. I asked Brandon what I should do, and he told me to follow what God was telling me, but to make sure and call him every 10 minutes.
I have NEVER picked up a homeless person before. I am the person that sees homeless people on the corner and locks my doors. I give money to the Salvation Army, and that is about as far as it goes for me and my "good deed giving''. But that day on the corner of that road, God had something totally different in mind for me. I turned around and pulled into a parking lot that was close to the intersection. I got out of my car, mumbled a quick prayer, and started walking over to her. Hundred of thoughts rushed through my head as I made that short walk to her. "What if this is a set up? What if I get hurt? What would happen to my boys if something bad happened to me?" But I kept walking. I introduced myself to her, and asked her if she was hungry. She had a purse and a Tar.get bag with a few snacks in it. I invited her to my car. after searching her purse, and told her I would take her to get something to eat or at least give her a cool place to sit out of the heat. She wasn't hungry, so we went and walked around Wal. Mart. I bought her a few items that she needed; some vitamins, water, sunscreen, etc. I was right in my guess about how far along in her pregnancy she was. She was 8 1/2 months along, with a baby girl. Her boyfriend had kicked her out of his house and she had been living on the streets for a week. She had stayed with her mom for a few nights, but she is an alcoholic and kicked her out too. I offered to take her to a shelter where she would have a place to sleep, but she declined. She said she could make enough money to stay in a cheap hotel and to eat for the night.
My heart was broken. I couldn't even imagine being in this situation. My biggest problem when I was pregnant, was not having the boys nursery look like I wanted it. Her baby wasn't even going to have a bed. How could I be so selfish?
After about an hour, I took her to a bus stop so she could drift to another part of town. I prayed with her, and gave her my phone number. I didn't really know what to say or do. We parted ways, but I pray that God gives me another chance to help her.
God broke my heart today. I am not saying that I will pick up every person I see. I know that in no way is that safe. But when He is laying something on my heart, I pray that I will seize the moment like I did today, and hopefully be able to help someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment