Thursday, October 7, 2010

Not So Crafty

I've always tried to be crafty. But OCD, craftiness, and three small boys don't work together very well. I've tried several things, Brandon has even pitched in, but it's just not working out for me! I've just come to the conclusion that I am nowhere near as crafty as dear ol' Martha Stewart! I thought I would share in some of the items I've made......

When the twins were born, I lucked out and found two foot/hand print frames at Kirklands in Springfield. 10.5 months whenever Greyson was born, I couldn't even think about taking another set of foot prints, so poor Grey didn't get a copy. It wasn't until Christmas ( he was 8.5 months old) we headed to a local paint and glaze shop to make a cute present for the Grandparents- that we decided to make a painted footprint plaque. After we got it back, I added his name to the bottom.

This summer, I attempted to make the boys hand prints in plaster of paris as a cute decoration for our pitiful looking flower bed in the front. Key word here is attempted. Brandon was a good sport and tried to help in the craziness. He didn't know what to do- truth is, either did I! I don't know if I mixed in too much water, didn't time it correctly, or just didn't do it right but here's the pictures:Greyson was being a good sport too!I let the boys put in little colored marbles.....


We all got a little frustrated, so Brandon got out that hose, and started spraying them down!After letting the pie trays dry, they all cracked. It was so frustrating. I eventually just through them away. We'll try that again next year!

After that "little" project, I'd had enough. No more crafts from me until.... I realized that the boys had to have wall art to match their new comforters. When we moved into our "new'' house as the boys call it, all three boys had the exact same bedding. Since they had always shared the same room, it was just the easiest thing to do. In order to encourage Greyson to stay in his own big boy room we too him to Target, and let him pick oout some new big boy bedding for his new room. Greyson picked out a Spaceship/astronaut print. It's super cute, but my favorite store Tar.get didn't carry ANY wall decorations to match the bedding. Before I could stop it from coming out, I had convinced Brandon that I could make boyish artwork cheaper than we could buy it. I started brainstorming and all the ideas were super cute in my head, and wouldn't you know that it would be a LOT harder to produce!

After making our first ever trip to Hobby Lobby ( go ahead and tense up, it was kinda stressful) and $60 later, I had all the items needed to complete the three pictures that I was going to make for G's room. While they aren't the best looking things, to myself the perfectionist, Greyson LOVES them. Everynight while saying his "thank you God" (night prayers), he thanks God for these three pictures. It melts this mom's heart!




For their birthdays the twins wanted new big boy bedding, so we went through the same process. Trip to Target, me talking without thinking, and another costly trip to Hobby Lobby. The Hobby Lobby trip was just as stressful. Greyson was potty training, and didn't tell me he needed to potty until he had already peed in the middle of the is isle. Talk about EMBARRASSING!

I put off making the twins artwork for as long as I could. They didn't ask for it, and I couldn't completely make up my mind on how exactly I wanted to do it. They had picked Robot bedding, and there isn't a whole lot of boyish stuff you can do with robots. But this is what I came up with:

I bought six 8x12 pieces of canvas. I also bought thin wood letters spelling out robot, and the little robots. I decided to get paint colors that matched their bedding, and went crazy painting! I hot glued the letters and robots on, and was completely done with this project in a couple of hours. I am SO proud of this! ( the color looks like yellow, but it's really lime green) While I was at it, I also painted about 10 picture frames to match in their rooms. ( I would not recommend this!)

No more projects for me anytime soon!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are crafty! The wall decor looks great! I wouldn't even begin to know what supplies I needed in Hobby Lobby for all of that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete