Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Judgement House

I wish I had pictures or movies to explain this to you better.
Every year at Halloween our church puts on a production entitled Judgement House. This is the opposite of a Haunted House but still give youth something productive to do. JH is a room to room skit usually going through 9 or 10 rooms of our church, in which you follow a day in the life a youth. This youth has had a trumatic death occur in his close group of friends, and you get to see how he deals with it.
OUr church first started doing JH in 1996. I was able to be one of two non- youth workers that was allowed to do it. My friend Amber and I played suffering people in the hell scene. For the first three or four years that is the scene I always worked in. It was labor intensive, but so much fun. As I got older I started doing other parts, and was able to see how much JH impacted other peoples lives. When I got into college, I helped with set up in a couple of scenes, but wasn't nearly as involved as I had been in years past. Then when I got married and had kids- it was all I could do to go through JH!
This year I was asked to be the "director" of the Judgement and Hell scences. These two scenes are attempting to give you an accurate dipection of what happens after death (judgement) and what happens if you aren't a Chrisitan. These two scenes are VERY labor intensive in setting up and getting everything prepared. Luckily, I didn't really have to do anything to the hell scene. Judgement on the other hand- took me about 24 hours over three days to get ready. I had some very very good help.
As it is every year JH was a huge success. I forget the final numbers, but I believe a little over 1,000 people came through during the six nights. It was amazing, humbling, and a huge blessing to be able to be involved on the level that I was. I am thankful to Brandon and my parents for watching the boys as much as they did, so that I could make the church my second home for a couple of weeks! I can't wait until next year. I've already started brainstorming how to decorate it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment