Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Traditions

It seemed like everywhere I turned this year, I kept hearing about traditions. And I started thinking about the fact that Brandon and I don't really have any. So we made a point to start doing things with the boys to see what would possibly work in the future! That's right folks... we tried things out before decided whether or not to consider making it into a tradition. When you have 3 kids under the age of 3, nothing is easy. Some things we have gotten down to a science. But just the normal everyday things, are so difficult. So we had to try things out, plus we all three boys are sometimes so different in what they like to do.

We started off the Holiday Season with making a Gingerbread train. I bought the kit at Target. I mean really.. am I supposed to have the time, engery, or baking pans to make a gingerbread train on my own?! I think not! I decided that I would be super smart and go ahead and glue the train together while the boys were down for a nap, and it would have time to set before we put all the decorations on after dinner. (Smart thinking, right?) Well, it only took me about 15 minutes to do.. and it only took Bentley, our genious beagle about 2 minutes to eat. That's right... our dog ate it.
Somehow it got knocked off the counter ( I actually know exactly how it happened, but I don't want to hurt anyones feelings!), and before I could get to it, the dog had attacked it. So I immediately called Brandon and had him pick another one up on the way home. I am so glad he did. Lincoln and Greyson LOVED putting the candy on the train. Daniel on the other hand, just loved to eat the candy. Lincoln had to have every piece perfect on the engine, while Greyson just put whatever wherever on the backend. Brandon and I did very little helping, once they figured out that it was okay to touch the icing! It may not be the most beautiful train, but it was perfect in our eyes!


The second "craft" we did was making gumdrop Christmas Trees. Okay, so maybe we ate more gumdrops than we put on the tree.. but they were a blast!


Lastly we made cookies... okay well, really we made them the night before the Gum drop Christmas trees.. but it stressed me so much, that we are saying it was last! Why in the world would I think it was a good idea to let three toddlers and Brandon into the kitchen at the same time?! While it was crazy, we all had a good time, and Poppa (Brandon's dad) even got in on the cookie decorating action. Every time he came to "check-in" on what was going on, Grey never had a cookie or the one he had wasn't decorated. So he said he needed to come and help Grey.. little did he know, that Greyson had already eaten 4 cookies! Everytime I would lay one down infront of him, and turn around to get the icing he would shove the whole thing in his mouth! He was on such a sugar high!

So maybe next year we won't try so many new things. But we all had a blast this year, doing new things as a family!

No comments:

Post a Comment