Saturday, January 2, 2010

Thanksgiving 2009

This year was a first for Brandon and I. Since we(mainly the boys and I) had been traveling so much, we decided to stay in St Louis for Thanksgiving this year. In 4 years of marriage, this is only the second holiday we've ever spent alone. Since our families live 3 hours away from each other, we rotate every holiday. This year was Brandon's parents turn for Turkey day and my families turn for Christmas. With Brandon's sister living so far away,her husband deploying in March, and his neice turning 1 two days before Thanksgiving, they headed to Alaska on Thanksgiving Day. So we had the whole house to ourselves for a week! At first I was kinda bummed about not being around family. But as the day approached, I became more excited.


I didn't have to wake up early to cook. We weren't in a rush! Brandon got up and drove his parent's to the airport, and I made the boys Monkey bread. Like I said.. no rush!
We were able to start a new tradition. In the last few minutes before lunch was ready we had the boys trace their hands, and color their "turkey"! They had a blast and Brandon and I got in on the action too. I decided that next year we'd do it a little earlier, so I could put contact paper on them and make Thanksgiving Placemats.


This year has been a rough one for us.... not 3 kids in one year rough, but a difficult one to say the least. Having time to ourselves, was much needed, and helped B and I to remember what we are so thankful for. There was a down side to doing Thanksgiving alone though... I didn't get to go Black Friday shopping. I have gone every year.. for as long as I can remember. Last year we were in Louisiana for Thanksgiving, and I still managed to hit a WalMart in the afternoon. Even since moving to STL, I have drug Brandon's mom out. And I am not any sort of morning person! So I didn't even tempt myself with the paper. No sales ads.. no computer shopping , Nothing. ( I Can't wait til Black friday next year.)


This was our delicious feast. It didn't matter that there were only 2 adults eating.. I still made everything! Turkey, 3 casseroles, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and of course my mama's sweet tea! And 2 desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment