Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas Tree O Christmas Tree!

Christmas is my most favorite time of year. I have always been that way. I love the music, Christmas musicals, the decorations. I just love how the atmosphere completely changes at Christmas time. I usually have my tree up a week before Thanksgiving, and my house decorated top to bottom in matching decor. Since having kids, and such a small space, I've scaled back on the decorations. So much that all I really put out is the tree and stockings! Brandon gets a little aggravated because I always want a "pretty" tree. That means all white lights, the ornaments match the living room, and are hung perfectly. No "fun" ornaments as he calls them. Well last year on a trip to Wal-Mart, I found the perfect balance to make us both happy. They were the unbreakable and kinda retro looking. They were so cute! So we got them before Christmas and were able to use them on our full sized tree.


Something just wasn't quite right with it though. So this year I decided to use the same ornaments, but with our skinny tree. Brandon wasn't very happy at first. He says a skinny tree just isn't the same as a big fat tree. And I politely told him, that when he started spending the 3 hours it takes to put up and take down the fat tree.. we would go back to using it. But until then we're using the skinny one that takes a half hour! And so he agreed!


The boys had a blast helping to put up the tree. Lincoln (the older of the twins) definately let his "first born" nature come out. He turned into Martha Stewart! It was so cute. He saw me moving around branches, and so he started to move them around, would take a step back and look at it, and then go back into to move more around! Greyson, had no clue what was going on, so he just stared at the tree, and Daniel played with the ornaments until it was time to put them up. The ornaments are candycane spirals, big poofy balls in four different colors, and normal round ornaments with regular candy canes mixed in. Since this would be the first year that the boys kinda understood what was going on, I let them do most of the decorating. And I didn't move the clusters of ornaments until 2 days later! That's right.. they hung every single ornament on about 5 branches at the bottom of the tree... and I didn't let it bother me! I was so proud of the boys and of myself.

Now, I will admitt that as they hung the ornaments, I did try to move them into a normal arrangement, but they wouldn't have any of it. They had so much fun, and so did Brandon and I. Every morning they would run out of their room and race to see who got to turn on the "ho ho tree" first. I was kinda sad to have to take the tree down. I didn't want them to get upset about it. Seriously, they loved the Christmas tree that much. But we told them that it was at the "ho ho guy's" house, and would come back next year. I seriously doubt that they understood, but it kept them from getting upset!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle,
    I miss seeing you! Kevin and I are the exact same as you. When we put up our tree it took all we had to let Z put all of his ornaments on the same branch at the bottom. We did it thought...we left them there all season long. I love that your boys are in to making traditions! You're going to have a blast next year...just wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose still says we will get another tree next year. She was very excited to get to turn on the lights each morning and for the ornaments she got to hang up. She was also very into telling Brooke not to take the ornaments off, which Brooke loved to do and bring them to me. I loved the pictures of the boys helping=)

    ReplyDelete